It is all over the news – from the Dr Oz Show to the NY Times – non-stick pots, pans, and other cookware are quite likely to be bad for our health. I know that this is an ongoing debate, with one side arguing that you are perfectly safe using non-stick cookware as long as you do not use high heat or scratch the surface of your non-stick pots and pans. But the other side says that there are no conditions under which you should use non-stick cookware, warning of problems like leaking Obesogens into your food through PFOA or Perfluorooctanoic Acid found in the lining of nonstick surfaces. However, I will not discuss the merits of either side of this debate in this Mauviel M’Cook Pan Review. Suffice it to say that I am not taking a chance with my family’s health and so I have been looking into a variety of options outside of the world of non-stick cookware. So I was thrilled when I received the opportunity to review a Mauviel M’Cook Stainless Steel Frying Pan from France – and even more excited when I got an extra one to giveaway to one lucky reader (details on how to enter the giveaway are at the end of this review!).
Mauviel M’Cook Pan Review
Mauviel has been manufacturing both professional and commercial cookware since 1830, hence the name Mauviel 1830 that you see on their packaging and website. In addition to being well-known for outstanding quality copper cookware (which I would LOVE to review someday!), they make stainless steel and aluminum cookware that is truly out of this world. When I bought my first set of pots and pans for college, I bought a combination of a couple of stainless steel pieces and a couple of non-stick pieces. The stainless steel pots and pans were given away within the first month because I could not get anything to cook in them without sticking – unless I used way too much oil which resulted in unhealthy (and greasy tasting) food. At the time, I thought that my non-stick pots and pans were fabulous – I could cook eggs, ground beef, chicken breasts and just about anything else with little to no oil, and it would come out perfectly. Over the years and more recently, when I started hearing about the health dangers of non-stick cookware, I panicked. Would I have to choose between (potentially) toxic nonstick surfaces or super oily food? Or, would I be able to find the cookware of my dreams? I am relieved to say that, after a few tweaks to my cooking routine, my Mauviel M’Cook is exactly the dream cookware I was looking for!
How to Use the Mauviel M’Cook Stainless Steel Pan
I showed two photos above – one with a banana in the pan and one with my hand on the pan handle – so that you could get a good feel for the size of the 9.5″ Mauviel M’Cook Pan. It is the perfect size pan for everyday dishes, but if you have a big family or cook large quantities, then have no fear because the Mauviel M’Cook line has a variety of different sizes including larger pans. The 9.5″ is the perfect go-to pan for most people though, because it is large enough for a small family and light enough to make it very easy to handle. After testing out a variety of different dishes in the Mauviel M’Cook Stainless Steel Pan, I found the perfect way to cook with this pan so that it is almost identical to using a non-stick surface:
How To Make A Stainless Steel Pan Non-Stick:
1. Place the Mauviel M’Cook Pan over medium heat and let the pan heat up for about a minute.
2. Add a couple tablespoons of olive oil or canola oil (depending on what you are cooking) to the pan.
3. Let the oil warm up for about 30 seconds.
4. Now you can cook whatever you want and nothing will stick! Not even scrambled eggs, which is my true test since scrambled eggs always seems to stick outside of a non-stick pan!
Mauviel Review: Top 10 Reasons I Love My Mauviel Pan
It is hard to capture the beauty of how food cooks in the Mauviel M’Cook Stainless Steel Pan, but you can see in the photo above (on the left-hand side) how even ground beef does not stick to the pan (and this was with adding no oil at all since ground beef always gives off enough oil on its own). You can also see how perfectly the pan caramelizes vegetables like peppers and tomatoes – see the little dark bits of deliciousness? And I included a photo of the finished stuffed peppers (on the right hand side) to really get your mouth watering! I absolutely love my new Mauviel M’Cook pan, so I came up with the following top 10 reasons for why it really is the best stainless steel pan I have ever used.
1. The Mauviel M’Cook pan is made of 5 layers of stainless steel, so that the pan heats up evenly and quickly.
2. The sleek and modern look of the Mauviel M’Cook pan is perfect for any kitchen.
3. The entire pan is stainless steel, and so you have no worries about moving it from the stove into the oven (it is safe up to a whopping 680 degrees F) – imagine the delicious filet mignon steaks!
4. No non-stick surface or chemicals like PFOA to make your family sick.
5. It cooks very similarly to a non-stick pan except it browns meat and caramelizes vegetables far better than any non-stick pan.
6. The handle fits perfectly in your hands – perfect for those of us working on our pancake flipping technique!
7. The Mauviel M’Cook pan comes with a lifetime warranty, not that I expect I will ever need to use it because it really is top notch quality.
8. The pan is dishwasher safe, and while I mainly wash my pans by hand, it is a nice feature to know about for when you are in a pinch.
10. This came as a total shock to me, but even though the handle is made of stainless steel and it is super ergonomic, the handle also magically stays cool when you cook over the stove. How do they do that?!?
How to Enter the Mauviel M’Cook Pan Giveaway:
Where to Buy the Mauviel M’Cook Stainless Steel Pan: You can buy one here: Mauviel M’Cook Stainless Steel Pan
How to Win: You can win a Mauviel M’Cook Stainless Steel Pan by visiting the Mauviel Website and leaving a comment below with your favorite product on their site! You must do this before doing any of the extra entries listed below.
Extra Entries: Each of the following will give you a certain number of EXTRA entries into the giveaway, so do as many of the following as you would like to increase your chances of winning! Good luck everyone!
1. Subscribe to my updates via e-mail by clicking here: Subscribe to Opinion Queen by Email, confirm the subscription, and leave a comment below to let me know that you have subscribed to my e-mails (or tell me if you already are). (2 entries)
2. Tweet about my giveaway with a link to my site, and leave a comment below with a link to your tweet. You can do this every day! (2 entries)
3. Make your facebook status about my giveaway with a link to my site, and leave a comment below with a link to your page. You can do this every day! (2 entries)
4. Grab my Banner in the right sidebar and post it on your website (or tell me if it is already there)! (3 entries)
5. Add a link to OpinionQueen.com from your blog or website, and leave a comment below with a link to where you added the link. (3 entries)
6. Follow me on twitter: TheOpinionQueen and then leave a comment below with your twitter name. (2 entries)
7. Tell everyone about this giveaway on Digg, Stumble, in a forum, meme, Google Buzz, blog it, or any other social networking place (2 entries for each one that you do!)
8. Leave a comment on a non-giveaway product review post on my site and leave a comment below to let me know what you commented on. (1 entry)
The winner will be selected on January 9 through a random number generator and contacted via e-mail. If there is no response from the winner within 3 days, then another winner will be selected. Only US Residents are eligible for this giveaway.